BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing #6--Feed Your Reader: Find and Subscribe to Feeds

The RSS has been very overwhelming! At first I was so excited that with every website I would say, "Hey! This is interesting!", I would add it to my RSS feed. Not a good idea! I had to finally go back and reevaluate and reorganize my reader. I went back and created folders to organize the feeds based on use and purpose (ie classroom use, fun, and 23 Things). This was extremely helpful! I have been able to "read" my reader. Now if I want to read feeds designed for my classroom, I can go to that folder, or I can just browse everything!

I read multiple feeds about education in general through a custom news feed. Many of them focused on the political-side of education. The one that I found from the Custom News Feed that was interesting was entitled Education-Our Non-Priority. The author began his blog was a quote from President Obama: "'The future belongs to the nation that best educates its citizens.'" The author discussed how much money is being spent for education but that it is still lacking. In Europe, the students have begun to demonstrate for better education. The author continues describing how teachers all over the US are losing their jobs when GM and AIG are being bailed out but education is receiving budget cuts. So I pose this question: if "'The future belongs to the nation that best educates its citizens,'" then how are we investing in the future CEO of AIG, GM, and other fortune 500 companies?

I had difficulty finding blogs for applying education. Had we not had the suggestions for the education blogs, I wouldn't have found what I found. It was much more difficult to find the blogs because I didn't know how to look. I actually subscribed to two wikis called shifthappens and eduwikius. They have ideas for use of technology in the classroom as well as blogs and groups you can join to discuss different topics specific to your areas.

2 comments:

  1. I agree...the Google Reader's vast amount of info could quickly become overwhelming, so we must choose wisely! Organizing the info into folders was a great idea. I actually went back and did that too. That was a helpful tip for me! Your blog looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm slowly organizing my life into categories so it was the only way that made any sense!

    ReplyDelete