BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #14--What in the wold is a wiki?

Before this class, I had created a wiki. This is where the story ends. My idea was for teachers to share ideas through it, but that plan fell flat. I had also created a website that I wasn't very pleased with. It turned out okay but I just couldn't make it work and make them work together. I was stuck. Looking at Cool Cat Teacher's Wiki Wiki Teaching Blog really helped me to see that I could take some basic steps. I had never thought of just doing vocabulary and having the students investigate them further. What a novel idea! I could even have them investigate some of the theorists we discuss in my classroom!

The other wikis were inspiring. They ranged from simple, the Kindergarten Counting Book, to complicated, Discovering Utopias. I liked the idea of the Kindergarten Counting Book because the students took the concept they were learning in class (counting) and found it in real life. The thing I liked about the Discovering Utopias blog was the discussion tab, particularly Utopian War Game. The students asked if they could make their project into a war game similar to the game Risk. The teacher adjusted to this idea and created rules for the students. The project was enhanced through the use of the wiki!

I also liked Dr. Reich's Chemistry Wiki. He had the notes available on the blog. I would love to go to this concept but due to the limited availability of technology--his students had their own laptops--this would be difficult to do.

On a more personal note, I fear blogging. Mainly because I don't know if I really have anything interesting to contribute personally or professionally. I wonder how Cool Cat Teacher got to where she is today.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the blogging. I guess you need to define who your audience would be--students, parents or other teachers??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great start! I didn't even think that far. It just seems so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete